There may be an occasion during the holidays where you want to get dressed up. Maybe you are going to see a stage play such as, A Christmas Carol, or you may be going to a holiday party at the office that is a little more upscale. A great way to get dressed up using pieces you already have in your closet, is to go for a monochrome look.
Monochrome is choosing one color scheme for your whole outfit. Black or navy is a a great choice since this darker color always looks classy and can easily be taken up a notch with the right accessories. The inspiration for this outfit came from a Chico's catalog that I got last year before the holidays.
The jacket was a thrift store find. It is very similar to the Chico's inspired outfit, which featured a sheer, mid-thigh over jacket. This one I found, has no label in it, so I don't know what brand it is.
To keep the look more formal I chose my accessories for their classic dressy vibe. The faux pearls and the real freshwater pearls mingle in varying lengths against the black backdrop of my blouse. I also had the pearl bracelet with the gold and faux rhinestone cross, which seemed the perfect accompanying piece.
The strands of pearls and beads are not exactly the same color, but it adds interest to the outfit. I grabbed my pewter clutch to complete the look.
Instead of regular heels I went for the heeled ankle boots. When you are wearing longer slacks, a heeled boot looks perfectly dressy.
The beauty of a monochrome look is that is elongates you. It makes you look taller, classy and put together.
If you have a more dressy party or event to go to and don't want to spend a fortune on a dress you'll only wear once in a while, try the following suggestions.
1. Start with a dark skirt or pair of pants. Navy or black work best for a dressy occasion, but look for something that you have other pieces in of the same color.
2. Find a blouse, light weight sweater or other top that says dressed up. Fabrics do a lot to make an outfit look dressier. Look for fabrics that are silky, flowy or drape well.
3. You don't have to wear a jacket like I did, but having some sort of over piece adds warmth and interest. A waterfall cardi, a button up tunic worn as a jacket or even a moto jacket can all dress an outfit up.
4. Wear heels if you are able. Heels make us walk with more confidence and stand up taller. If you can't wear heels, then choose a pair of flats with a pointier toe or made of a material like velvet. Velvet dresses anything up.
5. Add the perfect accessories. Silver and gold are alway a good choice to wear with a monochrome outfit, but pearls or iridescent beads in solid colors can add a touch of class. Do this for you bag choice as well. A clutch with bling always says upscale.
I hope you enjoyed this outfit. Do you like to dress in monochrome? Do you have a go to outfit or clothing piece that just makes you feel like a million bucks when you wear it? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments.
This post contains affiliate links. All opinions are my own.